Friday, November 5, 2010

A Small Change--This Blog is Now YOURS

I've had this internal battle over this blog for quite sometime now. I feel like I'm not doing the good with it that I really wish I can, to honor such a great mare and really make a contribution. The problem is, anyone who does read this blog either (1) doesn't need to read it, aka "preaching to the choir" or (2) thinks they know everything anyway so they read but don't think any of it applies to them. In either of these scenarios the information written on this blog is doing nothing to make any real contribution towards the betterment of horses.

So, in light of the situation with Kerry Kid, and after obtaining my own self-imposed permission requirement, I've decided to use this blog to truly help others. There are so many horses out there that ARE loved, but are deemed "unwanted" just because their last owner decides to throw them away. Kerry Kid was a prime example--there are no less than four people who genuinely would have given him a great home, if they had known about him, but instead he was actually turned DOWN by a kill buyer! In my eyes this is unacceptable. How many other slaughter-bound horses out there could have had great homes if the right connections had just been made?

I've decided to post, one-per-day (and hopefully at that rate) the horses that people are looking for, or horses that people have gotten with little or no information and they want to know more. I hope we can make some connections, like we did with Kerry Kid. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time, reading the right webpage and in the right frame of mind to remember him. It can't hurt at all to post as many other horses as we can to hopefully jog someone else's memory.

If you have a horse that you would like featured, email me at rosevalleyranch@yahoo.com. Please provide the best picture(s) you can of identifying marks, any known in formation (like last location known, names, etc) and be sure to specify whether you are looking for this horse, or have this horse and you're trying to track down it's history. Any and all breeds welcome. Don't forget the long-ears, too :)

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea Jesse. There was a horse I loved once that I found out about on the AQHA site where you can track where they have been. Maybe you could check that out as a resource to help on any registered quater horses folks are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Are you talking about the AQHA website? APHA has one, too, as I'm sure Arabian, etc., does to look up the ownership history on any horse. I think it's a great idea to show these sites!

    As with the case of Kerry Kid, and other horses, the last registered owner is unfortunately not their current owner. Papers are lost or not sold with the horse, so hopefully this site, and others like it, can help track those horses down. :)

    ReplyDelete